Monday 24 January 2011

Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham

The Day of the Triffids' main characters are a man called Bill, a woman named Josella and a girl called Susan.  The story is set in London.  There is a meteor strike which the whole world steps out of their house to watch which turns these triffids (a normal plant) into man eaters and the entire world blind.  There were a few people who did not see the meteor shower and they retained their sight; some of these were Bill, Josella and Susan.
The story is about how these three individuals try to eliminate the triffids as well as getting on with their lives.
I think that the book is a reasonably good read.  I felt it was slow to get going but by the end all the pieces seem to come back together.  I am not usually a science-fiction reader and I felt it hard to picture the scene.  Most people of my age would like this book and as it is a unique idea I can see why it has sold so many copies over the years.
JH

No comments:

Post a Comment